Sunday, June 21, 2009

Chameleon vs. Lions

Before I say anything, let me applaud these students on their work and technology skills. Obviously they are way ahead of me and the thought of trying to teach them scares me to death! Either I am technology challenged or computer illiterate or maybe both, but we will consider this just another challenge in my "life long" learning process as Mr. Lamshed has so noted.
That said, I was amazed at their productions. In Chameleon, I was never able to get the sound, but the message came through quite clear and the thought process behind their video struck me as so mature for 6th graders. The Lions video was most creative with their choice of music as well as the presentation of their subject matter.
In either case, to be effective with these students, it is imperative to stay ahead of the game(technology), capture the students interest and be able to create an environment where they think learning is fun, their challenges doable and their accomplishments are appreciated.
Realistically, being able to do video podcasts is cutting edge, but as I read in a past educator's blog, it is important not to get bogged down. Perhaps it is better to take just one forward thinking idea and do it well, then build on it as time allows and technological skills improve.
The availability of international education links surfacing almost daily enables us to communicate with classrooms around the globe, thus allowing the possibility to fine tune, improve and expand on subject matter at will.

2 comments:

  1. You got the Lions audio but not the Chameleon? Vista is REALLY weird!
    I did my second video post Friday with my new iPhone, but I have yet to do a videocast (video podcast). But we will change that next week. Can't learn without trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments both here and on our blog posts. When students can see their audience and can read the reactions to their work, it makes it much more powerful.

    I agree completely that it's important not to get bogged down. You don't necessarily have to stay ahead of the kids with technology, but can often use their expertise. I will quite often discuss an idea that I have for a technology based presentation with the class.

    With podcasts/videocasts, I explained the idea and asked "Does anyone have any ideas about how we can do this?" I was immediately presented with several ideas, all of which have been used for this project. One of them was what I had been thinking all along, but I (and the students) were given 2 alternative technologies to use just by asking the kids.

    Good luck!
    Jarrod

    ReplyDelete